Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Reflections provoked by a church sign...


"Can you figure God out?  Um no.  But keep trying."

That's what the church sign stated.  I passed it the first time heading to TaeKwonDo (TKD) class today and it started me thinking the rest of the way to my workout.

Then I passed it again later while running errands and it continued to speak to me.  On the way back from my errands, I stopped to take a picture because I was still "chewing" (thinking) on what it said.

The first part of that message grabbed my attention.  Obviously.

"Can you figure God out?"

My response and thought as I saw that?  "No."  In fact, the sign told me, "Um no."  But I already knew that.  God is mystery.  God is bigger than I can fathom, imagine, try to think.

It was the next part of the message that sent me on a "roll" (so to speak).  The sign states: "But keep trying."

I got confused here.  What did they mean by that?  Why would I keep trying to understand an entity that is mystery?  God, Creator, cannot be fully understood.  Why would I spend time and energy trying to understand something that I will never be able to understand?  This part of the quote/message did not make sense to me.

I don't see how it is necessary for me to "understand" God better and even how me trying to do so is profitable.

Now, before you think I'm more alien than the blog title states ("The Journey is an Adventure; I am an Alien) or than you already knew, let me continue.

Let me begin by repeating one thing I already stated-- God is mystery.

It's not that I don't want to know God or be in relationship with God, but I think that is different than trying to understand God.  I am more than willing to keep spending time in relationship with God in silence, in solitude, in prayer, in Scripture, in community, in worship, in Holy Communion, in creation, etc. in order to know God better in that relationship.

I do believe that we can grow into some understanding of God through our relationship, but to think that I/we will ever figure God out?!?!  No, I don't believe that.  Honestly, I don't want to figure God out.   I want to be in relationship with God, but I don't want to figure God out.  There is something there that doesn't sit right theologically with me.  Maybe because I like God being mystery and God knowing more than me.  God being Creator God is the One in charge, not me.  ☺  That doesn't take away my responsibility to take care of myself, those in my life, or creation.  But it does free me up from having to take on things that aren't mine to take on.

And one of those things that isn't mine to take on (in my humble opinion) is trying to figure God out.  I'm not going to try.  Sorry, message sign.

What I will do is continue to invest my time and energy into growing into a deeper relationship with God through the practices and disciplines I mentioned already.  I will also seek to love God in that relationship and love others as I love myself.  I will also try to seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God.  These are the things that I believe are more worthy of my time and energy.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment