Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter 2015... a mixture of emotions, a time of transition.

This is a crazy time of life for me.  Focusing diligently on my studies so I can graduate in May.  Even last week during my Reading Week and my kid's Spring Break, I had work to do.  Though we took a family vacation to Seagrove Beach, FL (beautiful!), I spent hours READING and writing!  It was a profitable working vacation for me and worth every moment.  It was also a good time of relaxation and being at the Gulf of Mexico and getting to enjoy some scenic hikes.  (I hope to make time to put a blog post together about the vacation at some point!)

It was Holy Week last week.  A time of reflection even though I didn't attend any services until today.  Because of the year anniversary of Will's accident and death, I thought often of him and his family.  Will's life continues to inspire me.  This morning I posted a tribute to him on my Facebook page:
"Hey Little Buddy. You may be wondering why so many here on earth have been struggling this week since last Sunday. You've been living the good life, free from pain and suffering. We have been remembering your journey from the accident to today. How appropriate that journey has been this year being from Palm Sunday to the cross to today, Easter Sunday, resurrection. On the very day that last year you went home, today we celebrate new life, risen life. Though it is still ...difficult because we miss you, Will, we do rejoice that you are healed! You have new life. And not just you. Because of the beautiful decision your parents made, your life allowed other people to have continued life. Those families today celebrate life in gratefulness and appreciation in honor of you. Throughout this past year, there have been tears, Will. But there has been laughter. There have been stories shared about your life. There have been people who have been inspired by your life. You have continued to be a witness of love, joy, compassion, intentionality, and abundant living for many of us. I wanted to say thank you today. Love you little buddy."

My grandmother (Meemo) who passed in January 2014 would have been 98 yesterday on April 4th, so I've thought about her life too.

Today's sunrise service at Camp Dixie and the service at church were both powerful messages that ministered to me today.  Two of the pictures I took this morning:



Today's sermon at the 9am service was about dying and the dash, being intentional about the time we have in living.  Death allows us the opportunity to consider how we are living.  Are we living well?  Are there things we would change?  What about all those fears and concerns that we know about?  And then what about those things we don't yet know about, but will learn about?  Hope can and will defeat fears and concerns.

There is a purpose to living.  There is something worth living for.  And in this time of the dash, how will we live?

I was blessed by the songs sung by the chancel choir, the special music by Wil and Matt, the prayer led by Pastor Amy, and the message shared by Pastor Rowland today.  Intentional living, abundant living is one of my favorite topics.  I do want to live well during my dash.

My life isn't free of pain, suffering, worries, concerns, brokenness, or woundedness.  But, there is hope. There is joy.  And, it IS well with my soul.

I am grateful for those saints who have gone before me, many in the past 12 months, who have modeled intentional living.  And then the others who have gone on before them.  I am also grateful for a Creator who continues to draw me into relationship, holding me and guiding me along life's journey.

Today was my final Easter Sunday service as a lay person.  Next year will be my first Easter Sunday as a clergy person.  There will be quite a few lasts and firsts as the transition continues.

As I watched my pastors lead the service today, I thought about all the pastors and churches that have been a part of my journey.

From my home church, St. Mark's Episcopal in Dalton, GA to Christ Church UMC on Long Island, NY to First Dayton UMC, Dayton, TN to Hixson UMC, Grace UMC, Red Bank UMC (didn't join but was active in Bible Study for a time), Burks UMC.... all in Hixson, TN.  Then there are the churches for whom I've been able to fill the pulpit along the way.... Christ Church UMC (my first sermon in 1988), Grace UMC, Payne's Chapel, White Oak, New Salem, Fairview, Burks, and St. Luke (next week for the first time).


I started naming off pastors at these churches and then realized there were so many more in the Emmaus community, through Hearts on Fire (FUMSDRL), through the Academy for Spiritual Formation, through local ministry, etc. that have impacted my life.

Then there are the laity who have spoken into my life.  To name them would take forever too.  There are SO MANY through GBOD, the Academy, Emmaus, many churches, the Upper Room, family, friends, ETC.

Wow!  I have not only been surrounded, but truly carried by a great cloud/community of witnesses..... past and present.

I am deeply humbled and grateful.   There is hope that because of this great community, I will be able to continue defeating the fears and concerns that come my way.  But it's more than just this community that surrounds me, past and present.  I know THE HOPE that resides within me, that guides me, that carries me, that speaks truth to me when I hear thousands of other voices.  The ONE VOICE of truth, the hope that lives eternally--past, present, and future.... that is the greatest hope of all.  Because God lives, there is hope.  I can face today.  I can face tomorrow.  It is truly well with my soul.

Wherever you are in your life journey, may there be hope and may it be well with your soul!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

Easter sermon from Burks UMC 2nd service, April 5, 2015:

No comments:

Post a Comment