Sunday, February 1, 2015

Next Steps Sermon Series at Burks UMC: Power

Today was the final sermon in the "Next Steps" (Taking the Next Steps: It All Starts with Jesus) series at Burks UMC by Pastor Rowland Buck.  Today's sermon title and focus was "Power".

The other sermons in the series were: Focus (1/11/15), Risk (1/18/15), and Transform (1/25/15).

First, a look back at the other three sermons before looking at today's sermon.

Focus (1/11/15)

"If you chase two rabbits, both will escape."  That was a new idiomatic expression for me, but it definitely expresses the need for focus.


Some of the questions and notes I have from this sermon:
  • Where are you now and where does God want to move you?
  • Wherever you are, what is your next step?
  • Life works best when Jesus is the focus.
  • Jesus is all about change.
  • Scripture: Mark 1:1-11
To get more from the sermon, you can watch it here:


Risk (1/18/15)

Some of the questions and notes I have from this sermon:
  • What are you longing for?
  • What is your biggest dream?
  • Whatever it is, it drives your next steps.
  • Change is risky.
  • To change is to risk.
  • What is God dreaming for you?
  • Growth doesn't happen in comfort zones.
  • Great things never came from comfort zones.
  • Taking risks is embracing growth.
  • Grab hold of what could be.
  • Scripture: John 1:43-51
There was a quote by Socrates on the secret to change:


To get more from the sermon, you can watch it here:


Transform (1/25/15)

Some of the questions and notes I have from this sermon (I attended both services; notes are combined here):
  • Steps can be treacherous.
  • Jesus desires relationships.
  • Jesus wants to transform your life.
  • Jesus will make you a fisher of people, making you a disciple of Jesus.
  • Discipleship is all about following Jesus. It is about understanding that Jesus is the leader. (head)
  • Jesus accepts and takes you where you are and transforms you. (heart)
  • Be committed to the mission of Christ, which is fishing for people. (hands)
  • Transformation takes place through spiritual disciplines.  Ones that we're familiar with in the UMC are part of our membership vows: prayer, presence (worship), gifts, service, and witness.
  • Scripture: Mark 1:16-20

As I listened to the sermon, I drew an image of a head, heart, and hands.  It was a basic circle with a heart underneath and two hands underneath the heart spread out to serve.  Art is not my strong point, but I like visual images.  I found this one to express the concept.

http://www.jrbriggs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/heady-hearty-handy.jpeg
 
To get more from the sermon, you can watch it here:

(I can't get this one to upload, but I will try again later.  The link is below for now.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JczknV18cMU


Power (2/1/15)

Some of the questions and notes I have from this sermon (I attended both services; notes are combined here):
  • What is your next step?
  • God is working in your life, even if you are unaware.
  • What is OUR next step as a church, as Burks UMC?
  • As a community of disciples, what are we dreaming about?
  • Where Jesus is, things happen.
  • Belief + Action = Transformation
  • Turn the world upside down.
  • Free life.
  • Freedom.
  • Kingdom power.
  • Scripture: Mark 1:21-28
To get more from the sermon, you can watch it here:


The sermon in the second service was more powerful today.  It was almost a different sermon.  I got something out of both of them, but the kingdom power, freedom, and turning the world upside part were aspects were not included in the first service and those resonated with me. ☺

Some of the goals fo the next steps for Burks UMC are shared in this video on VIMEO, "I Can See":

Today being the first of the month was communion Sunday.  I knew I would be assisting with the "Welcome" and "Prayer" in the first service today, but I didn't know until I got there that I would be assisting with the liturgy in communion.  I was more than glad to do so.  I enjoy sharing in the liturgy and helping to assist serve.  At our church, there are servers that serve the congregation.  The pastors make sure the servers have enough bread and wine (juice) and offer prayer to those who come to the altar (if they desire someone to pray with them).

As I stood there watching the congregation file down the aisles to take communion, at one point I noticed tears.  I was praying for these people and it touched me to be a part of that moment.  Even though I wasn't serving them, I was able to see them one by one.  This is the church congregation that has nurtured me through the M.Div. portion of my seminary days (and through the end of my Certificate in Christian Studies).  They recommended me to be a Candidate, they have heard me preach twice, they have supported and encouraged me along the way as I've assisted in services, taught classes, directed missions, etc.  This is the church that is sending me onward to the Conference for my commissioning interview.  I don't know if I will get another opportunity to preside over communion or preach there.  Maybe that was part of the tears too.  I did get to pray with a couple at the altar too.  That was a special and holy time too.

What is my next step?  Which one? ☺  My interview is February 9th.  That's my next step in the commissioning process.  For seminary my next step is Spring semester which begins on the 9th too.  There is another next step in my life that will occur this week, but I'll write more about that later.  In the meanwhile, I plan to keep listening to the One who will guide and direct me, draw me close, strengthen me, and transform me.

What is your next step?

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment