Saturday, January 10, 2015

Home from my last (required) on-campus intensive class

I got home last night a little after 9:30pm from the Orlando campus of Asbury Theological Seminary.  MapQuest told me it would be a 9 hour, 9 minute trip.  It took about 9 hours and 20 minutes or so with a few stops along the way.

It was a blessing that the professor worked things out during the week so that we had class on Wednesday morning and we were able to not have to meet until 6:30pm yesterday.  Otherwise I would still be driving right now.

Being in my rolling sanctuary gives me time to reflect upon what we talked about in class, listen to the radio, pray, be in silence, etc.

We discussed and learned some mind stretching things in Contemporary Theology over the week.  We watched some interesting videos too.  The class caused me to reflect and chew on quite a few things.  And I'm still doing that.  I'm still working through the books and the class.  I have until the end of the month to finish my requirements.  Finishing my requirements doesn't end the process of thinking and reflecting.  My reading lists continue to grow from courses like these.  I look forward to reading suggested readings and continued thinking and reflecting on the issues.

Being at the Canterbury Retreat Center for the third time was a treat.  The lake is serene and picturesque.  The reflection of the lit cross across the waters as the sun sets and at night time is beautiful.  It wasn't until my last morning as I turned in my key that I found a fire lit and burning brightly in the fireplace.  Darn! I would have been hanging out by the fireplace if I had known that!









The Asbury Theological Seminary campus in Orlando isn't really a "campus".  It is one building.  This one building contains quite a bit of campus.  There is a great library space.  There is a prayer room.  There is the worship space.  There is the Justo González Center.  There is the student lounge area.  There are obviously classrooms, offices, and other spaces too.  Though there are not any cool statues or fountains like the main campus, I enjoy the space of the Orlando campus and have felt "home" each time there.  [One of the reasons likely is that Spanish is my second language and there is definitely some Spanish language heard on campus.] Only once while there was I able to attend a chapel service.  That was last January during J-term.  I am grateful for that experience.

"Tour" the campus here.

CAMPUS:



CHAPEL:



PRAYER CHAPEL:






SOMEONE'S SUPER COOL LUNCH BOX:


ADDITIONAL PICTURE FROM CAMPUS:
(2nd floor by the steps and elevator)

One of the many benefits of being on either campus for a class is the face to face factor with the professor, the staff, and the fellow students.  The additional time to get to know folks during breaks, at lunch, in group discussions, etc. is that part of physical connecting that is different on-line.  I am blessed by the connections I made this past week.  One guy was from the Chattanooga area, but had moved to Florida.  He knew my Associate Pastor from a previous church.  Then there was a couple from Dothan.  The wife was familiar with Rick Hall and is a higher level black belt than myself, so I called her "ma'am".  She and her husband have been to Costa Rica on mission trips and knew the Zirkel family and Javier.  I had been in class last J-term with one guy, a retired police officer from New York.  It was good to see him again.  A classmate who lives in Wilmore traveled down to the Florida campus and was heading from class to enjoy some rest time.  Another classmate is from the Mobile area.  Getting to know her spunky self was a joy.  A guy who was formerly a tennis coach and a teacher and I chatted some about education.  Then, there was the lady who sat next to me.  Turned out she had three teenagers-- 17, 15, and 13.  Wow!  What a blessing to get to know her and be encouraged at this stage of my parenting days to keep on keeping on and to trust in the Lord and the power of prayer.  Ah, don't let me leave out the professor.  He was with us in person the first part of the week and then via technology the second part.  Beyond what he shared academically, he shared some of his life with us.  For one week, along with those in Wilmore, we were a community of faith and a community of learners.  We will continue to be a community online through the month as we finish our requirements and take our tests online.  We have the opportunity to share in community online. 

Community and fellowship is definitely possible on-line!  I've experienced that both as a student and a teacher.  In my seminary courses in which we have had accountability groups on line, there has been an added connection with a smaller group of people.  I still keep in touch from time to time with those in my on line accountability group.

Canterbury Retreat Center, campus, class (Contemporary Theology), community, and connections.  That sums up this past week.

As my seminary journey nears its end, I will miss the experiences of being on campus (both Orlando and Wilmore).  I will miss my drives in my rolling sanctuary.  I will miss the connections and relationships with students, staff, and professors.

I am blessed to have experienced such great on campus exchanges that have been transformational on several levels.

Now to transition to being back home and finding a rhythm that allows me to finish reading these books and then take the two tests!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, especially the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie J.,
      Thank you. I enjoy taking pictures along the way to capture what I can. Sharing them is part of the joy of my experiences!
      dd

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your experiences. What beautiful pictures! At first glance, I thought you'd made a side trip to the LEC near Leesburg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie B.,
      This is the 2nd time I have gone to the Orlando campus since our Academy days were over. I have wanted to go the LEC both times, but haven't because of time constraints. I get off the exit after I would normally to go to LEC, but drive through a good portion of Leesburg, then into Apopka, on my way to Oviedo where I stay at the retreat center. Walking through the Wilderness area reminded me of the Path of Silence at the LEC. One day....

      Delete