Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dangerous Journey-- Mid-Week Vespers Reflections

Last night I attended Mid-Week Vespers at Hixson UMC.  It was good to be back!  I missed last week because I was out of town for my intensive week of seminary class.  These reflective services of song, prayer, Scripture, and silence are just what I need mid week for my body to catch up with my soul.  I am grateful that there is a church in my vicinity that offers such a service that I can attend.  I am also grateful that they offer Holy Communion weekly at 6:10pm prior in the Parlor.  I like to take communion as often as I can and I missed the opportunity to take it this month during the regular worship service because I was on the road to my seminary class.  Being able to participate in both Holy Communion and the Vespers service feed my soul tremendously.  In addition, most weeks I am able to serve in some capacity and service is always a good thing.  I am able to attend to the inner and outer journey.

Last night's theme was "Dangerous Journey" from A Guide to Prayer For All Who Seek God.


The songs that we sang during the service were: "As We Gather", "All in All", "Abide with Me", "We Love You Lord", and "Sanctuary".  The Scripture reading was Psalm 97.  The responsive reading was Thomas Merton's prayer.  I had not seen it used as such and that is a neat way to use that prayer.  I don't know if the picture below is adequate enough to show the inside of the bulletin with the words, but here it is:


Jim and Bindy Lewis shared a special music selection after the silence time.  It was a song by Michael Card, "Things We Leave Behind".  Hearing the Michael Card song was a wonderful thing.  I have had the opportunity to see Michael Card many times when he has been here in Chattanooga.  His live music is so much more than a concert, it is worship.  He is such a talented and gifted writer and performer.  Though I have a stack of his music, I haven't listened to them recently.

Here are the words to the song:


Here is a YouTube video:


The atmosphere in the sanctuary is always peaceful and calm, a welcoming place to come and worship, to come and be.


During the prayer time last night we lit candles on this "believe" candle holder instead of the candles on the side of the sanctuary.



Last night's meditation included some quotes from the various readings in the prayer guide.  It also included some thoughts and a prayer from Jim's devotional time.  It was a meaningful meditation and reflection.

Some of the reflection readings that had caught my attention were those of Rueben Job, Thomas Merton, Richard Rohr, and Marsha Sinetar (pages 69-71).

A few quotes and words from those authors:

From Rueben Job:

"The Christian life is seldom described as a dangerous journey. [...] ... the way of faith is not always the way of ease and comfort." (69)

From Thomas Merton:

the entire prayer that you find in the inside of the bulletin ☺ (70 in book)

From Richard Rohr:

the words "paradox", "darkness", "journeys" (70)

From Marsha Sinetar:

"To find in ourselves what makes life worth living is risky business, for it means that once we know we must seek it. [...] A few brave souls, however, do look within and are so moved by what they find that they sacrifice, from then on, whatever is necessary to bring that self into being." (70)  [This is from her book Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics]

[For more about Marsha Sinetar, you can check out her website here.]

As always, last night's service was a balm to my soul.

May there be peace, reflection, prayer, and silence along your journey!

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment