Friday, January 23, 2015

A Rainy Friday full of unexpected adventures


My morning started off with coffee and a reading from Jesus Calling.  The words that caught my attention this morning from today's reading (January 23) were these: "As you live in close contact with Me, the Light of My Presence filters through you to bless others.  Your weakness and woundedness are the openings through which the Light of the knowledge of My Glory shines forth."

The words made me think of Gay Lynn and how her life shone brightly everywhere she went.  Her life celebration last night was full of life, love, shining the light, worship, and confetti!  Thanks to Ginger P. for taking this picture!

Picture taken by Ginger P. after everyone threw confetti
The words also reminded me that the light of God's presence shines through my life, through the wounds, through the weak areas.  Well, maybe not all the time.  There is that aspect of me needing to be close to God for that to occur.  Thought that might not always be the case (because I am human), there is grace and hope that I can be the broken vessel that shines the light of God to and for others.

I got some coffee for the road and it was time to take the girls to school, my day to drive the carpool.  I dropped them off and headed over to the mall to walk indoors.  That's the normal for a rainy morning.  Originally I wasn't going to be able to walk this morning due to my meeting with my Spiritual Director, but that got bumped to later.  I let my walking partner know in case she wanted to meet me, but I guess she decided it was a great morning to sleep in and enjoy the rain on the roof.  I agree.  I waited in the car until 8am just in case she showed up.  I was able to read some theology and take pictures of rain droplets while I waited. 

Walking in the mall seems like it takes twice as long to walk the same distance.  That might be because the GPS doesn't pick up as well inside for RunKeeper.  There are places inside the mall that don't have coverage and RunKeeper shows I haven't moved an inch.  My pace today got slower and slower even though I kept the same pace.  That's okay.  It is ultimately about moving, not the statistics.

After I walked I headed across town and ate breakfast at Chik-Fil-A on Gunbarrel.  I was thrilled to see a van with a Hispanic ministry name in the parking lot and its pastor, even though I didn't recognize either.  Sure enough, there was a trio of Spanish speaking guys at a table inside the restaurant.  I didn't intrude today.

As I was about to leave, a Chattanooga City Police Officer came in to eat breakfast.  Gay Lynn's daughter mentioned last night that her children have expanded Gay Lynn's thankfulness to all in uniform.  I sometimes do that.  Today, it was fresh on my mind.  As I went by the young officer, I wished him a good day and thanked him for his service.

Then I went to Earth Fare for some okra chips.  Yes, okra chips.  I first had them several years ago.  Then I got some at Christmas time in the fun game that my aunt in California had us play this year.  (I should post about our crazy, fun, awesome games some time!)  I found the okra chips and also saw some green bean chips.  I decided to get both.  At the check out counter, I got a cup of coffee too.  In speaking with the worker, I asked if she had ever tried the green bean chips.  She smiled and said they were better than the okra chips.  I didn't know how that could be.  Then, she smiled and said it was like eating regular cheetos (green beans) and puffy cheetos (okra).  What a great analogy.  I could see that from looking at them.  I was looking forward to comparing my new "cheetos" snacks. 



Okra chips
Green bean chips
I met with my spiritual director and after an initial time of silence, I answered the question "how is it with your soul?"  You know, even with another life celebration last night (making a total of 9 since last January), my soul is good, at peace, and full.  I always leave my time with my spiritual director with my soul refreshed.  Today was particularly noteworthy because we talked some about the end of my seminary days and the transitions.  I mentioned that I was looking forward to reading what I wanted to in the days ahead and doing some of what I wanted to.  My schedule will be somewhat more open.  But, like a good spiritual director, she didn't let me go into the land of delusion for too long.  She remarked, "Dream on."  I laughed.  It's true.  Getting out of seminary won't guarantee the above.  I've been observing others for years.  Remaining open and flexible and going with the flow will be a better way to live into it.  Live in the present. 

I found a dime at the gas station by the pump.  Finding dimes is like finding pennies, but nine cents more.  Plus, they have a special meaning ever since I heard Marcia D. share her dimes story on an Emmaus Team several years ago. 

There is quite a bit of theology to finish up before next Friday (reading and two tests).  And there is an upcoming interview with the conference and my final semester prior to graduation.

Maybe it's all the outdoor time that I am getting that is helping. Time in God's creation definitely keeps me centered.   There is a decent flow of journey inward and journey outward.  There is time to take care of me, to play, to meet with friends, to rest, and to just "be".  It is an ebb and flow. 

Speaking of the ebb and flow, it is time to switch from writing to reading.

I don't know your day has been like or how your journey is going.  I hope you have some unexpected adventures along the way that bring you peace and joy.

And, if you're ever really adventurous and want to try some regular or puffy "cheetos" like the ones I mention here today, go for it.  They are really good!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  Here is an article on hiking from the Outside magazine online that my friend Sharon shared with me yesterday.  Check it out.

Study: Hiking Makes You Happier



2 comments:

  1. Okra chips? I'll have to find some, if St. Louis has any (didn't find an Earth Fare here when I googled). And you aren't sharing the "dimes story" with us? That wasn't part of my Emmaus experience at the first Chattanooga Emmaus Walk for women back in 1990. Wow, thirty years ago in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find the okra chips, let me know. I will make sure you get to try them. The dimes... I thought about sharing the story, but I wasn't sure that I would get her details correct... I will tell it through my eyes and memory though. :)

      Delete