Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Silence, Solitude, and Sunshine-- Time Apart at Chester Frost Park

I took some time this morning for "time apart". Some time for some silence and solitude, some time away from the house, away from studies.  Time into the outdoors and creation, into a space that would allow me to refocus, refuel, and re-energize.

Though it was really only for an hour, it was a perfect break, a wonderful get away.  Short, but sweet you might say. ☺

Chester Frost Park is close by and one of my go-to spots.  It is a county campground on the lake (TN River) that has campground spots (tents and RVs), a beach area, picnic areas, fishing, playgrounds, pavilions for rent, docks, and great grounds for walking.

Today I focused on rocks, docks, the playground, walking, the ducks, playing my flute, listening to the sounds of nature, observing, breathing, taking some pictures, and just "being". 

There were some gorgeous trees and flowers that caught my attention. 





There were some rock formations that stood out to me too.






There were also some birds in the water that were just floating around enjoying their time on the water.  One bird was just sitting majestically overlooking the horizon.





It was a great time apart.  It definitely filled my soul and refreshed my being.   I can't say that there was anything I enjoyed more than the other... I enjoyed it all! From sliding down the slide, to taking pictures, to walking, to playing my flute, to watching the birds, to being on the dock, to soaking in the sunshine....






I don't know about your life schedule these days, but for me it takes being intentional to have silence and solitude time.  Oh, that it could just "happen".  But, that is rarely the case.  With my basic life responsibilities, studies, and goals for commissioning, life is a tad busy.  But, I know that my soul requires silence, solitude, time to be still. 

In fact, I'm outside on the patio this evening writing this.  It has gotten dark and the light of the computer screen shines much brighter than the orange and red glow of the setting sun over the horizon to my left.  A gentle breeze blows through the leaves, causing them to rustle for a moment.  The birds and crickets are singing their night song.  Dogs bark in the distance and the voices of children from the cul-de-sac below ring up through the woods between us.

But, there is peace in this moment too.  This, too, is a time apart.  A time to reflect.  A time to pause. 

I am grateful for these times today.  I recognize that the fuel tank needs refilling daily or I take a risk of running on fumes.  For now, it is well with my soul and my soul magnifies the Lord, the Creator of creation.

And you, could you use some time apart to walk, to play, to listen, to observe, to write, to ______???  You fill in the blank.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra


No comments:

Post a Comment