Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October 1.... a year of walking.

Mizuno shoes, October 1, 2013
Today marks a year when I began a new journey.  A literal journey.  The journey of walking.  Last year on October 1, a Tuesday, my day changed and instead of doing one thing, I ended up buying a new pair of shoes.  Running/walking shoes.  I hadn't had a new pair of shoes for walking in decades.  But something inside me had that "rafiki voice" (you know, from The Lion King) saying 'it is time'.

Because I was near Front Runner, I went in, tried on shoes, and bought a pair.  I bought a cool pair of Mizuno shoes.  LOVED THEM.  I started walking the very next day.  At first first I walked about a mile a day.  Sometimes a mile and a half.

I mentioned at TaeKwonDo class that I was going to start walking every day and one of my workout partners there said she would be interested in joining me.  So, off we went.  

I used "map my hike" as an application at first, but then settled on Runkeeper to track my progress and goals.

I walked about 4-5 days a week.  Even in the winter.  I bought a head covering/face mask to keep my head warm in the winter.
I set goals of mileage per month.  At some point I decided it would be neat to do a 5K since I had never done one before.  So, I found one that fit my schedule (Operation Outreach) and started preparing for it.  I was primarily a walker, but prepared some to run during that race too.

I have worked my way up to 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 miles on a walk.  But the 5 mile walk is a rare one as there are other things to do in a day too.

Not counting the miles I did prior to using Runkeeper starting October 15, I have walked 494 miles.  Counting the approximate miles from October 2 when I started walking, that makes somewhere over 500 miles this past year.  Neat!


The shoes?  Well, the Mizuno shoes were awesome, but they got a tear (that appeared out of nowhere for no apparent reason) in the top part of the shoe about 3 months after purchase and I took them back.  Front Runner replaced them.  Then about 3 months after that, a similar tear on both shoes.  Weird. Other people had come back with similar issues.  This time I had to switch to a different shoe.  I did.  Asics.  Love them.  It took me a while to get used to them, but I have worn out the soles and am in need of a new pair.

tiny hole that appeared

the asics gel nimbus shoe that I went with last and still have (no holes, just worn out soles)
What has all this walking been for me?  Done for me?  It gives me some quiet time.  It gets me out and moving.  It gets me out in creation some days if I'm on a trail or walking one of the more natural walking areas.  It has helped me explore my contemplative photography as I've taken many photographs on my walks this past year. (2nd photography book)

The exercise has been beneficial.  Whether I'm walking by myself or with others, the thought processing time has been beneficial.

I have since found articles on the benefits of walking and how it creates space for the mind to be creative.  Neat.   Here is one article that talks about how walking boosts creative thinking.

I didn't start walking to accomplish anything, really.  I had no idea it would lead to a 5K or bring out contemplative photography or even help me lose weight over the year.  I felt the nudge inside to start and do it and I obeyed.  It has been a blessing and benefit in my life.

What are you feeling nudged to do, to begin?  I encourage you to listen to that nudge and obey it. 

Nike advertising would say, "Just do it."  John Wesley would say: "O begin!"  (Though the John Wesley quote is more in reference to spiritual disciples of study, reading, Scripture, etc., it can be applied to any area that we are feeling nudged/called into.  Here is the quote: "O begin! Fix some part of every day for private exercises. You may acquire the taste which you have not: what is tedious at first, will afterwards be pleasant.") [For more about this quote and the context from which it came, check out this link.]

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment