Monday, September 15, 2014

Living into this new adventure.... next steps on my Native American flute journey

A while back I wrote about the beginnings of my Native American flute journey that began a while back as I felt the sound of the flute calling me and then I was able to get my first lesson this summer at the FUMSDRL / HOF retreat in MN.

Upon my return from there I looked into ordering a flute.  I looked into several different flute makers.  I considered the Odell Borg flutes, Dana Ross because he is located in North Georgia, and Jimmy Yellowhorse because I got his name as I searched for local flute makers.  I found him through his wife that I had emailed because I found her on a website.  When I learned that Jimmy Yellowhorse made flutes and was located in Chattanooga and Northeast Alabama, I felt that I was to go that route for my first flute.  I thought I could go with Dana for my 2nd flute, whenever that will be. ☺  I got in touch with Jimmy Yellowhorse on July 30 and we spoke about what I was looking for in a flute and he educated me on flute making.  I left the details to him, knowing that my first flute was in good hands.

This past weekend I was able to pick up my flute at the Holston Conference Gathering at Coker Creek Village.  My husband and I went up for the day on Saturday since we weren't able to stay the entire weekend.

Being out in the countryside and able to enjoy creation with others while learning new skills, meeting new people, etc. was especially good for me on this day as my cousin was getting married in Colorado and we were unable to make the trip out there.  I could be there in heart, mind, and spirit... and that is what I did.... I was able to see pictures after the fact once we got back into the land of cell service and signals.  What a beautiful wedding it was!  Such a gorgeous couple and family.... and my cousins, my aunt, etc..... the scenery, setting, and weather were perfect for them!

So, back to my flute....  I took a beginning flute class with Ryan Little Eagle Molina.  We had a group of about 9 beginning flute players.  I literally got my flute minutes prior to the class.  In fact, I was a few minutes late to class because of it.


I am super pleased with my flute and am blessed that I got to get to know Jimmy Yellowhorse and his wife Tammera Hicks some.

Having been reminded of the basics of the scale and breathing in Ryan's class, now that I have my flute the main thing is to practice, practice, practice.  As my fingering becomes smoother and my breathing becomes steadier, I will learn how to create songs with this beautiful instrument.

I have started to learn "Taps".  I played it last night prior to bedtime.  It is a song that is fond in my memory from Camp Skyline days.  I remember being in the cabins of Hut Row and hearing taps played nightly.  I think it was at times played in person by someone on the coronet or trumpet.  But often it was played on a record, you know, vinyl.  Taps has my attention currently not just because it's a good song to end the day, but because I've had some friends pass recently.... my former colleague at Bryan College and most recently, my friend Leila last week.

I look forward to various heart songs coming out as I learn to "pray" the flute.  There has already been a few things flow out of me related to "Creator God".

What I am most looking forward to is what scared me most when I first contemplated the possibility of playing the flute... and that is deepening my relationship with God through this adventure.

Though it did scare me at first and it was something I had to come to terms with, I am grateful now for the journey to be here at this point.  Now that I have my flute, I look forward to playing and praying it.

It has been a step (or leap) of faith for me, this flute journey.

What in your life is calling you, waiting on you to take a step (or leap) of faith into the adventurous journey?

Blessings,

Debra



me and Jimmy Yellowhorse




No comments:

Post a Comment