Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A prayer from A Guide to Prayer For All God's People

Yesterday morning I was looking through my devotional books for some inspiration and I found a prayer that spoke to me from A Guide to Prayer For All God's People in Week 46.  The theme for the week is "God's Unlimited Grace" (pages 280-285).

The prayer was the Invocation prayer for the week: O God, whose grace and mercy flow like and endless river from your great being, help me now to place myself in the path of your rushing love and limitless compassion, that I may find my spirit renewed.  Amen. (p. 280)

As I read through the prayer, my mind went to the flowing waters at the North Chickamauga Creek Gorge where I enjoy walking, hiking, and hanging out.  I looked through my pictures and found one where I thought the prayer would show up decently on the picture.

Using the application (app) "textgram" on my phone, I created this:


The Psalm for the week is Psalm 141

The Benediction for the week: O God, it is true that no eye has seen nor ear has heard what wonderful things you hold in store for your children; yet in these moments with you, I have seen more clearly and listened more deeply.  I give you thanks.  Amen.

There are several readings for the week that spoke to me.  Choosing only one of those to share is difficult, but if I were to give you everything here then you might not read the book yourself. ☺  There is a neat evening prayer on page 281 by C. Maud Battersby.

Not knowing who C. Maud Battersby was, I decided to research real quickly and learned that the evening prayer written by him was put to song by him too.

Maud is also written as Maude and he went by C.M. in several places.  On hymnary.org, the only song I found was this evening prayer, though it was in three different languages: English, Portuguese (I think), and Spanish.  The English version is found in 56 hymnals.  You can find the sheet music on the link in this paragraph.

Here is a short reading that caught my attention among the many wonderful readings for the week.  It is by Carlo Carretto, from his book Love Is for Living: "I feel immersed in God like a drop in the ocean, like a star in the immensity of night; like a lark in the summer sun or a fish in the sea."

Maybe you needed to hear a message of grace today.  If so, maybe there is something here for you.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment