Saturday, July 19, 2014

Becoming a contemplative photographer.....

I didn't really see it coming.  It came.  One day I looked up and looked back and realized, that yes, I had been moving into this process for a very long time.  Though not necessarily intentionally as in a goal for arrival, I think it has been a natural outlet for my soul.

Much like the beginnings of my spiritual journey take me back to the days of roaming and wandering the woods for hours and sitting at the mossy creek side up behind my Dad's campground (Trail's Inn), my photography journey started without me realizing it.  It is in looking back that I am able to recognize the beginnings of both these journeys and the path they have taken me.

I have had a camera in my hands since I was a child.  My very first camera was a Kodak Instamatic.

 

My favorite part of that was the light bulbs.  In my high school days, in band we used those types of light bulbs for a special effects on one of our marching shows.  Everyone "popped" the wire at the same time at the end of the show. 

My first 35 mm was a Minolta XG1.

I could go on with the cameras I have had and used throughout the years, but that would make this post much longer.  I have primarily taken pictures of nature, architecture, and things that strike my attention.  But, I do take people pictures at times. 

In the past year or so I have noticed contemplative photography sites on Facebook of other people and started following them (such as Diane Walker's Contemplative Photography website or her Facebook page.  Their photographs and their words have spoken to me.  Additionally, other inspirational sites such as Shalem, Terry Hershey Fan Page, Alive Now, Weavings, etc. often use photography along with sayings to share a message.  I believe all of these have spoken to the deep place in my soul.  My soul not only listened, but started doing what it heard and saw. 

I really never set out to take contemplative photographs, to reflect my soul, or to allow others to reflect in the depths of their souls.  Yet, I know now that I am doing it.  And I'm glad.  Because I enjoy it and it is something that speaks to my soul.  It is one of those things that has grown out of my being.  Doing has come from being.  Being is always the root of doing because the well must have something to supply.  (This is one of those lessons that has been in the making, an ongoing learning journey and it flows from Psalm 46:10--Be still and know that I am God.)

I will note that part of my "a-ha" moment, realizing and recognizing that I have been on this journey came when a dear brother on the journey pointed it out to me.  My reaction was "oh".  Then, "hmmm".  That germinated and took root and helped me see, indeed, it was true.

At SOULfeast last week I attended a workshop "Visual Psalms" taught by Beth Richardson (a wonderful photographer, writer, singer, and all around creative person) and our assignment was to attempt to photograph the Psalms as we walked around the grounds.  I left our classroom, praying as I walked, and started taking some pictures here and there.  Sometimes I had an idea what Psalm or what portion of the Psalm might fit.  At other times, it was simply taking a picture of something that captured my attention.  Later that night I looked over the Psalms to match a Psalm or a portion of the Psalm with a picture that I had taken.  The first picture below fits the first category.  I knew when I looked at the mountains, that I thought "where does my help come from?".  And, I liked the idea of framing the picture with the archway at the chapel breezeway.  For the second picture, I enjoyed the roses.  There are SO MANY beautiful roses there.  These caught my attention because of the difference in stages and as I reflected on the passages and the pictures, it made me think of the different stages of waiting in life, etc.

Psalm 66:1-2-- I lift my eyes to the hills-- from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. (NRSV)  (faith and trust theme)
Psalm 130:5-6--"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning." (NRSV) (petition theme)

When I walk and hike, things catch my attention.  There might not always be Scripture that goes along with it.  Sometimes I have found quotes that go along with the picture later, as in this leaf in the water back in the Fall. 


This one is of the creek at the North Chickamauga Gorge and I had read a verse that was on my mind:


 
(I created both of the above with the Textgram App on my phone.)

Sometimes, it is simply a moment with God.  Maybe just meant for me.  Maybe meant to share.  Sometimes I share.   Sometimes I don't. 

One doesn't always know what is for self and what is for others.  However, I do believe that most of what the Creator allows me to learn and experience is "for the sake of others", as Bob Mulholland reminded me of Christ's teachings.  And, I do want to live my life poured out for others.  However, that can only be accomplished if I regularly fill up at the well. 

Daily walks in creation, events such as SOULfeast, silence and solitude, music, ordinary things, etc.  There are many ways to fill up at the well. 

Thanks be to the Creator!

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

P.S.  Here are a few other resources not listed in the post above.

Visual Psalmists posted on Alive Now!
Sight Psalms

Other sites on Contemplative Photography:

Seeing Fresh:  The Practice of Contemplative Photography
Contemplative Camera

A book:

Eyes of the Heart: Photography as a Christian Contemplative Practice by Christine Valters Paintner

No comments:

Post a Comment