Monday, March 24, 2014

WO 510-- Weekend #2-- Continued learning in worship class

WO 510 weekend #2 was jam-packed with as much learning as weekend #1. 

I've been back home a week now and haven't really had the opportunity to write about what I've learned.  I've been attempting to read for class (I FINALLY finished the Stookey book I was reading and can now read the other two I lack). 

I have shared this past week some of what I learned during weekend #2 (March 14-15) in a couple of blogs this week as I've shared some songs that have caught my attention on the radio. 

Here are some of the highlights from weekend #2:

  • It may seem like a very small thing, but the way we read numbers (actually the way we read/speak anything) is important.  I will likely dedicate an entire post to this, but the short version of this is that "150" is read thus: one hundred fifty.  Not "one fifty" nor "one hundred and fifty" (which I'm learning turns it into a decimal number.)  It is best to place a slight pause after the hundred number, allowing folks a chance to hear and start turning to the page.   Even if one isn't using a hymnal or a Bible, it doesn't hurt to give out the numbers in proper form.
  • It is important to remember the role of Christ in worship leadership.  This keeps things properly aligned and in perspective. 
  • It is a challenge to frame the story in order to get it across to others.  (If you don't believe this, talk to anyone who leads in worship at any church. ☺)
  • Anyone in worship leadership cannot coast, but must dedicate one's self to life-long learning study and time in God's story, going deeper and deeper.
  • Authentic Christian worship is not always about getting it right immediately in the process; it's about doing it. (Leaders and congregation can learn along the way.)
  • We learned about meter and metrical feet, a short lesson from MU 510.  We were introduced to page 926 in the UMC Hymnal (the metrical index) and learned how to used this. 
  • If a tune is unfamiliar, choose a familiar tune.  (Using new text and new tune at the same time will be disastrous.)  (Just because a tune is familiar, doesn't mean it should be used.  We should also consider the liturgical season and therefore rhythm of the tune for the text.)
  • We watched a Rob Weber video clip on Reconnecting Worship.  [I wasn't able to find anything on video, but here is a link to the book--Reconnecting Worship (kit).]
  • We talked about baptism in class and had read an article with descriptions of many denominational views on baptism.  One thing that came out of the class discussion that was new to me was to sing when you do a baptism.  I have never seen that done that I can remember.  And, there are several songs that lend themselves to being sung at a baptism.  Because baptism is a community act, this is an additional way to engage the community besides the sharing of the community vows.  I liked this idea of singing a song at a baptism.  We sang several in class.
As I continue to go through this worship class, I am at times overwhelmed by the responsibilities of worship leadership.  Thankfully, in many cases, one is blessed with a staff/team of talented and gifted folks who carry this responsibility of worship leadership along with interested, gifted, and talented lay folk.   Guiding and leading the leaders is part of the guidance, along with the preparation and guiding of the worship experience.  

Leadership of any kind can be overwhelming.  Yet, we do what we can.  We take what we know and apply it.  We continue learning and we can apply that.  As life long learners, we will be molded and shaped so that we can better guide and lead others.  We don't wait until we have it all figured out.  We wade into the waters with what we have and continue going deeper as we go and grow. 

I'm definitely learning new things in this course.  I am applying and sharing what I am learning.

What about you?  What have you been learning lately?  How are you applying it and sharing it?  Or, maybe you're being led into a new role in life.  How are you stepping into it?  I encourage you to walk into the waters with what you know.... you have been prepared to this point.  You will learn more as you go and grow.

Blessings on your journey,

Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment